Friday, July 13, 2012

Incoming Solar Storm.....

A wave of plasma stoked by an X-class solar flare, the most intense type, is headed towards Earth. This blast of charged particles, known as a coronal mass ejection (CME), is forecast to ignite a geomagnetic storm on Earth over the weekend. NOAA predicts it will be minor, maybe moderate. NASA says it will be moderate to severe.
I ask: which intensity will it be and why aren’t these two science agencies on the same page?
The intensity of the inbound CME matters.
If NOAA’s right, and the ensuing geomagnetic storm is minor, it’s no big deal. It means the high latitudes could be treated to some brilliant auroras over the weekend with few, if any, negative effects on earth-orbiting satellites or the power grid.

HERE

5 comments:

  1. This is something to worry about. Definitely going to unplug all electronics before bed tonight, can't wait to see what happens over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Opologize, I share so many of your posts, and I rarely if ever leave a comment, Much less A "Thank you". I just wanted you to know, it is very much appreciated. I do not do a blog, and respect those that do. Hmmm, Nope, not a marrage proposal, I re-read that, so we are cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I appreciate the fact that you like my blog well enough to always stop by and to share the posts. You are always welcome!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Much ado about nothing.
    We've had MUCH larger solar flares and CME's in the last several years, with little or no damage.
    Must have a been a Slow News Day.....ZOMG!! THE SUN EXPLODED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...